Thursday, April 5, 2007

Teflon Society

Met a lovely elderly couple at Costco in Nanaimo today. Invited them to sit with us as all the tables were filled and the lady looked to be having a hard time staying on her feet. Learned from talking to them a while they have been married 50 years this past February, and what a character she was! She has heard about this new 'rage' "The Secret", and shared with us HER secret to a long, happy marriage with 7 children. "I'll tell you what the secret is!" she says (insert best Liverpool, England accent here) "I stay in bed till 11 am watching the view and when I get up at 11 to get some breakfast hes already in the shop working isn't he? Yes, then I head straight back to bed. Thats the secret, I only bloody see him 3 hours a day and thats enough!!" Bless her heart!
You can learn a lot from listening to a wise, elderly person. Really makes you realize how people are going down the pooper. She calls todays society the "Teflon Society"..."nothing sticks, does it?" she says, "no, everything you learn just hits ya and falls right off, doesn't it? Teflon Society it is, dear" Bless her heart again. It was heartwarming to meet them but at the same time saddening, because I know that there won't be too many like them. My Grandma died Christmas day of severe Alzheimers, she was physically fit as a fiddle, could probably out run me! but her mind went. This lady, sharp as a pencil upstairs but physically its all failing including her heart. (How could such an amzing heart fail?) Seems it has to be one or the other. I wonder if my life will ever be as fulfilling as hers, whatever it is that fulfills me, will it be as rewarding in the end?
Jessica did my make up today and then we took turns taking pics with my Rebel XTi. Shes super photogenic, mine turned out not too bad either, but she could be a model so I'll just post of of her. (Yup thats green grass, remember green grass?)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: